Click Field Trial to download the rules in .pdf format. You will Adobe Reader to view the download.
- Dogs must win 3 first line or 3 first trees in elimination heats and 1 final first line and tree in the same final to achieve the title of Water Champion or Field Champion.
- Water Champions or Field Champions must win 5 first line or 5 first trees in elimination heats and 2 final first line and tree in the same final to become Grand Water Champion and Grand Field Champion.
- Champions and Grand Champions can compete without competition if no other entry is made, but must complete the line and tree satisfactorily to the Chairman or judges.
- Club shall appoint an Event Chairman to oversee the event; to include entry taking, assigning judges and filing event paperwork.
- Club shall have a suitable starting point to allow all dogs to start at the same time.
- Club should have a minimum of 1 Line Judges and 2 Tree Judges. If line is close enough to the tree then judges can double as both line and tree judge.
- Water race: Club shall ensure water is deep enough for dogs to swim. Dogs must not be able to touch bottom with the exception of the starting point and exit point.
- Club should draw a 10 ft. circle around the base of the home tree.
- Club should have a well-marked position to establish first line.
- Coon scent, coon hide/carcass or live coon shall be used in accordance with state laws.
- All dogs must be entered and handled by a current BOSS member. No exceptions!
- All dogs entered will be randomly drawn into 4 dog heats.
- No more than 4 dogs to a race at any time.
- If an odd number of dogs are entered, refer to the nite hunt draw procedure.
- If one person enters more than one dog in the same class and there are enough entries, the Chairman will separate the dogs into different heats.
- All line and tree heat winners advance unless disqualified by a judge or chairman.
- All dogs will be separated in heats by classification. Open, Champion, Grand Champion